Kyle Brennan’s Story
My son, Kyle Brennan—a twenty-year-old college student from Charlottesville—died under very suspicious circumstances in Clearwater, Florida, on February 16, 2007, while visiting his Scientologist father Thomas Brennan. Kyle was a bright and creative young man who suffered from mild depression and anxiety. He was prescribed Lexapro by his Charlottesville-based psychiatrist Dr. Stephen McNamara. Kyle died from a gunshot wound to the head. His medication was found locked in the trunk of his father’s vehicle.
During Kyle’s brief stay in Clearwater—site of Scientology’s headquarters—his father was under the supervision of what is known as a Scientology “auditor.” This person was Denise Miscavige Gentile, the twin sister of the Church of Scientology’s leader, David Miscavige. As you may be aware, Scientology is vehemently opposed to psychiatry and psychotropic medications. Kyle was not a Scientologist. We later learned that, due to Scientology’s convoluted beliefs regarding mental health, the church had issued an order to Kyle’s father to “handle” Kyle. He would be dead within thirty-six hours. Kyle was traveling with thousands of dollars. All of it was taken.
A wrongful-death lawsuit was filed against Thomas Brennan, Denise Miscavige Gentile and her husband Gerald Gentile, the Church of Scientology, and Flag (another Scientology organization). They filed a motion for summary judgment, and that was granted by a federal judge on December 6, 2011. The police report written by Detective Stephen Bohling of the Clearwater Police Department is full of fabrications and half-truths. We want the investigation reopened. We want to know what really happened to Kyle on February 16, 2007. Here are but a few of the lies, deception and unanswered questions raised by Detective Bohling’s investigation and police report. (All of the following can be verified by statements made in the police report and in the available depositions.)
• Lies concerning contact with Kyle’s doctor and his diagnosis – Bohling and Medical Investigator Martha/Marti Scholl lied about contacting and consulting with Dr. Stephen McNamara, saying in the police report that: “The doctor confirmed that Kyle had been exhibiting early signs of schizophrenia to include paranoia and delusions and . . . advised that he was not aware of any major side effects if one was to suddenly stop taking Lexapro.” However: Dr. McNamara, under oath, stated that he had absolutely no contact with either Bohling or Scholl. “Perplexed and dumbfounded” by their statements, he said he was “bound by confidentiality” not to release “information about a patient’s treatment.” Under oath, he stated that “Kyle’s diagnosis was mild anxiety and depression,” and that there are major side effects from the sudden termination of taking Lexapro, especially for someone Kyle’s age.
• Lies and red flags concerning police procedures – Asked by Kyle’s family whether a gunshot residue test had been performed on his hands, Bohling answered “no.” Asked if the weapon that killed Kyle had been tested for fingerprints, Bohling answered: “No, we never processed the weapon or the scene for fingerprints.” However: The police report revealed that Kyle’s hands and the weapon had been tested. The GSR test was withheld from further analysis by the detective. The weapon tested for fingerprints came back negative of fingerprints or ridge detail. Also: At Thomas Brennan’s apartment, where Kyle died, the bullet that killed Kyle was never found. (Neither was the box of ammunition.) With a missing bullet, no GSR test, and a weapon negative for fingerprints it cannot be determined who pulled the trigger on the weapon that killed my son, or if he was killed by the weapon found on the scene.
• Additional police red flags – Notes taken by the police have been destroyed. Officer Jonathan Yeun, one of the first to arrive at Brennan’s apartment that night, shredded the notes of his first interview with Brennan. Detective Bohling destroyed the notes of his first interview with Brennan. Marti Scholl told to bring her notes to her deposition, said that she had forgotten to do so.
• Red flags concerning the cause of death – Kyle’s death was ruled a suicide. Medical Investigator Scholl told family members that she ruled his death a suicide because she was told that a suicide note was found with Kyle’s body. Detective Bohling, however, stated under oath that no suicide note was found. A reporter for the St. Petersburg Times, who presumably interviewed someone at the Clearwater police department, wrote that there were two suicide notes. Also: Kyle’s actions in the time just before his passing don’t sound to us as those of someone considering suicide. He made a bank deposit in Clearwater to make sure his checking account stayed open, and in the hours before his death, he called several Clearwater-area personal injury lawyers.
• Brennan’s lies concerning the night of Kyle’s death – It was estimated that Kyle died at Brennan’s apartment at 11:00 p.m. The 911 call went out at 12:10. Detective Bohling was informed by family members that Brennan had told us different arrival times for that evening. We were first told that he arrived home at 10:30 p.m. after having dinner with friends. Brennan later changed the time and story, saying he arrived home between 11:15 and 11:20 after spending the day selling books at the State Fair. Of course, if his first story is true, it places him in the apartment at the time of Kyle’s death. This would also increase the length of time before 911 was called. Which one of these stories is true? These multifarious stories, convoluted timelines, and lies went unchallenged by the detective. To top it off, Bohling wrote in the police report “Thomas Brennan returned home near midnight. . .”
• Lies told to protect Denise Miscavige Gentile – The Gentiles at first denied their relationship with Brennan, denied that Denise is a Scientology “chaplain,” and denied that Denise was Brennan’s “chaplain.” All of these statements were disproved: Scientology documents prove Denise’s status as a “chaplain,” and that she was indeed Brennan’s “chaplain”—meaning they had a very close relationship. Also: Denise at first denied that she went to Brennan’s apartment the night of Kyle’s death. Her husband, however, revealed that both had traveled to Brennan’s apartment.
• Other red flags concerning events the night Kyle died – As stated above, Bohling, in the police report, said that: “Thomas Brennan returned home near midnight. . .” However: On another page of the police report, Denise Miscavige Gentile—Brennan’s Scientology “chaplain”—said that: “Tom had, um, stopped by my house to borrow a book. It was around 11 … when he got home in like ten minutes, he called me up.” This places Brennan at his apartment, the location of Kyle’s death, at 11:10. Also: In Gerald Gentile’s deposition, he said that after Brennan called his wife: “I quickly threw on a pair of pants … threw on my sneakers, and was in my pajamas. We just ran out the door and jumped in the car and ran down” [to Brennan’s apartment]. This statement places both the Gentile’s at Brennan’s apartment at 11:20 or maybe 11:30 p.m. Again, the 911 call went out at 12:10 a.m. What were these three individuals doing in Brennan’s apartment for the 30–40 minutes prior to someone finally calling 911?
These are but a few of the lies, half-truths, and contradictions easily found in the police report and depositions. Told about these things, Detective Bohling did nothing. My son’s right to a fair investigation has been denied by the Clearwater police. My family’s right to know exactly what happened to Kyle that night has also been denied. We believe something very different happened that evening, something different from the explanation found in the Clearwater police report.
The false information written by the detective has been used in court documents by the attorneys representing the Church of Scientology. The death of my young son has been devastating enough-the aftermath has been horrific.
Written by Victoria Britton©, All Rights Reserved. Duplication or reproduction without permission of the author is prohibited.
The Church of Scientology’s dictatorial control over its adherents is not just deeply disturbing—it’s also immoral and dangerous. Brainwashed by their religion, Scientologist’s seem to lose concept of the boundary separating right from wrong. They’ve been told by the Church’s founder, L. Ron Hubbard, that in the pursuance of a “just cause”—Scientology, of course—it’s perfectly acceptable to step across that boundary at will. They’ve been taught that the collective, the organization—the Church of Scientology—comes first. It comes before them, before their families, and sometimes even before the lives of their children.
Victoria L. Britton
So heart wrenching. May God bless you with strength.💗
So sad about your son and the perps got away with it.
Thank you, Gwen!
Heart to you Victoria. It’s some time since I first heard about Kyle.
A beautiful boy.#Gwen.
Die Fälle Kyle oder Biggi Reichert müssen aufgearbeitet werden. Seit einige Zeit suche ich also direkten Kontakt zu David Miscovige was ihm auch bekannt ist. Also ich möchte die Fälle aufklären … mit oder ohne Scientology.
How horrific and I am so sorry to hear. Exposing this will hopefully help you and many others heal ❤️🩹
I am nervous about religion, but that one makes me scared. I am so sorry for your loss. Be kind to yourself while you grieve.
Sorry for your loss 🙁
You’re most welcome, Victoria. The WordPress community is so much better than other forms of social media, that’s for sure. Wishing you a wonderful day. ❤
Thank you, Cherie! I always appreciate your caring and thoughtfulness. The WordPress blogging community has been a Godsend. Such a wonderful community of caring, supportive and kind people. I’m so thankful that I’ve been able to connect with this amazing group. I’m so very grateful to have you in my corner. Take care and be well!
Thank you for your support, Samantha! It has been a long fight and, sadly, often a lonely one. What helps is having caring people like you on our side. Thanks again, and be well!
This brings tears to my eyes. Words can never express the heartbreak I feel for you, Victoria. As a mother myself, I just can’t imagine. And I’m sorry that the police refuse to help you get justice and seem to be willing participants in this cover up. Know that we will always support you and we’re here for you.
I am so so sorry for your loss.
My knowledge of Scientology is very limited: I only know what I know from documentaries on TV – and they just scared me. I do fear you’re in it for a long fight, Victoria, but I am rooting for you and your son. Don’t ever give up. Justice has a way of showing up, sometimes when you least expect it.
Try reaching out to someone who can help. Senator Bernie Sanders is someone who would listen. You can also try reaching out to someone like George Galloway.
Thank you for your caring and compassion, Belladonna!
This was so hard to read. I’m so sorry and I pray that justice is served. Praying for you and for your son.
Thank you for your caring, Cindy. It’s much appreciated!
💜 An Angel is on This Sentient Planet that some call Gaia to Call Attention to what Many Religious Folk call Sin yet Denying that They ARE Sinning; in Plain 3DParlance what happened to “Kyle” is Beyond The Awful, Nasty, Mean and Reprehensible…these Evil Folk DON’T!!!Sleep Well; plagued by nightmares and GUILT!!! They, Eventually, Die Lonely, Miserable Deaths and The Awesome Angels like “Kyle” Die in Peace with a Job Well Done and Keep an Angelic Eye on Us ALL from Beyond The Eternal Veil…because Death is NOT!!! The End; a 3DLife of Being Living Dead and Continuing to Suffer like ALL Extreme Religion, “Scientology” for Example, is The End…the Dead InSide; the Zealot Zombies wanting to Eat YOUR!!! Brains and Kill YOU!!! for DISOBEDIENCE!!!
I hope you get justice! <3
So tragic to loose your son. Kyle was an amazing young man. 💔 my heart goes out to you
I am so terribly sorry.
You are most welcome!!! I have no words, really, I do not and anything I say could sound cliche. But I will say that I wish you every strength and that I hope some form of justice is, one day, forthcoming.
Thank you for taking the time to read about Kyle. I appreciate your support and caring. Être bien!
What a desperately sad read but so necessary. Wishing you every strength!
Find that center of love that you all are, let it be your safe house while the world does its thing. I know that can be quite hard as going through something so traumatic can change you both. But do take time out, be in that center of a walk, a meal, a visit somewhere different. You must give your heart a break, for you both to find yourselves again. Yes, this is very important, to you and others. And trust me, that depth of lies will bite the very hand that feeds it…they can’t help themselves until it comes home to roost.
Take care, and be safe in what you are within ❤️ 🙏🏽
I agree with you, Mark. Albeit I could not word it as eloquently as you have. You have a heart filled with goodness and caring. Thank you for reaching out to me and for sharing your words of wisdom. I am truly grateful! Be well and stay safe.
There are no words for something that on its own would be terrifying…but to have added the deceit and lies to that pain is beyond words. And as hard as it may be to believe, it will process the seeds that were planted by those with something to cover. But for you both that love is still there. For them they cannot feel this in their lives because of their masks of fear that they wear constantly behind those lies. It blocks life and they become but a self made misery, and projecting this in all that they do.
Much love and light to you both, and the courage to hold that love in your hearts and not be drawn into and become the fear that they are ❤️ 🙏🏽
Thanks for your support Jay! It’s much appreciated. Stay safe & be well!
Thank you for taking the time to read about my son. Your message is touchingly beautiful and heartfelt. It’s the caring and thoughtful people like yourself that make this world a better place. I am truly grateful to have made a connection with you. Thank you for being you! All the best.
Thank you for sharing!!.. sorry for the loss of your son!… technology has shown that there are elements in today’s society who are closed minded, caring little for others, and those closed minded elements are in all parts of today’s society (all over the world)…
As for your son… 🙂
Do not stand at my grave and weep
I am not there, I do not sleep
I am a thousand winds that blow
I am the diamonds glints in the snow
I am the sunlight on ripened grain
I am the gentle autumn rain
When you awaking in the morning hush
I am the swift uplifting rush of quiet birds in circled flight
I am the soft star that shines at night
Do not stand by my grave and cry
I am not there, I did not die
I hope you get the closure your heart desires and know Kyle will be with your every step of the way, occupying a special place in your heart!!… 🙂
Until we meet again..
May flowers always line your path
and sunshine light your way,
May songbirds serenade your
every step along the way,
May a rainbow run beside you
in a sky that’s always blue,
And may happiness fill your heart
each day your whole life through.
This is such an unfair burden for you on top of your grief.
So sorry for your loss and this sorrowful, unbelievable journey it has placed you on. However, I do believe good comes out of the most horrific things and perhaps your exposure of these events and practices will bring about positive change. Warm wishes to you.